I’ve been nominated for this tag by Chelsea @SpotlightOnStories, Romie @romiewedeservelove and Destiny @howlinglibraries, three of my FAVORITE people on here. So I’m finally doing this tag!!
1. Thank the person(s) who nominated you and link back to their blog(s)
2. Answer the 11 questions sent by the person(s) who nominated you
3. Nominate 11 new blogs and write 11 questions for them
4. List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post
1. Which movie would you love to see on the big screen (something that you’d either love to see in the movie theatre again, or an older movie before your time that you never had the chance to see in the theatre and would love to)?
I would love to see The Jungle Book live in the theater again. That movie was just so aesthetically beautiful and stunning on screen. (It’s on Netflix, too!!)
I’d also love to rewatch Moonlight in the theater. Because it’s one of my favorite movies ever. IT DESERVED THAT OSCAR AND I’LL FIGHT.
2. Which book would you love to read for the first time again?
I’d go with Six of Crows or Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo. Those books are really just… life-changing, and I want to read both of them for the first time and forget just how much I adore them.
3. Do you have a favorite publisher or publisher imprint?
I don’t really keep track!! I do love Tor Publishing just for their dedication to publishing short-yet-creative novellas on their website and their promotion of out-of-the-box concepts and diverse sff.
4. If you worked in a bookstore, what would your one staff pick recommendation be, and why?
It would depend whether I was recommending an underrated book or my favorite book. If we’re saying “favorite book” definitely Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. If we’re going with favorite underrated book, I’d probably go with Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald – it’s truly one of my most underrated faves of all time ever. I have a review here.
5. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever used as a bookmark?
Oh, good question!! Probably just tissues and receipts. I can’t think of anything weirder.
6. Is there a classic that has been on your TBR for ages?
I don’t read a ton of classics, but I’ve always been somewhat interested in Wuthering Heights and Lolita, just to see what they’re all about if nothing else.
7. What’s your favourite bird?
I don’t know if I have one?? But an anecdote: I went to Africa with my brother for a few days once, and he always loved guinea fowls 🙂
8. What colour do you wear the most?
Let’s be real and say black. I wear black leggings daily and usually
9. What are your thoughts on binge-watching? Is it something you do, and if so, which show did you last binge-watch?
I do it occasionally. I usually don’t do it very quickly because I get tired of watching so much of the same – the only time I’ve really binged a show was in eighth grade. But I actually did watch 7 episodes of television in a week this year!! Big Little Lies is truly a masterpiece.
10. What’s your favourite episode of your favourite TV show and why?
Okay, if I’m being totally honest, my favorite tv show is the 100. My favorite episode of that show was always Spacewalker because I fucking love Raven and it’s one of the saddest and best-filmed episodes of anything ever.
Some other examples bc I like this question
- How To Get Away With Murder – Every episode of season one, really, but the pilot and the season one midseason finale were both fabulous.
- Once Upon A Time – At first I was thinking “the entire first season” and then I looked through the episode guide and holy god it’s probably The Stable Boy?? that episode was a MASTERPIECE.
- Firefly – Jaynestown for the sheer hilarity. TELL ME THAT ISN’T THE FUNNIEST EPISODE OF ALL TELEVISION. And also Out of Gas because it made me cry.
- Revenge – probably that season two finale where Seven Devils plays throughout the end?? that fucked me UP. And the season one midseason finale, of course. I always loved that episode in season three (??) where she takes down that coal company head by having him drink what he REALLY puts into coal refining because that was amazing. also every single major Emily episode because I fucking love Emily. AND NOLAN. I MISS NOLAN. I MISS MY BI CRIME DUO.
- Black Mirror – I know everyone says San Junipero, and that episode IS fantastic, but honestly, it was Hated in the Nation. That episode is straight-up the most terrifying thing I have ever watched in my life. It’s better than any horror movie. That scene where the thing happens… with the bees… and Fall Into Me by Alex Lev playing?? that fucked me up.
- And if we’re talking Big Little Lies again – the finale made me cry for thirty minutes straight and was absolutely flawless you should go watch it it’s only seven hours!!
11. Do you have a favourite bookstore/used bookstore?
I’m obligated to say Kepler’s bookstore in Menlo Park if only because it’s where I get all my arcs and know the most people. But I think it’s genuinely my favorite bookstore ever.
I. ‘If you liked this book, then you’ll like this one.’
Oh, nice!! If you liked Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, you’ll probably like Vicious by V.E. Schwab and vice versa. You might also like the And I Darken series by Kiersten White.
II. Care to share an unpopular opinion?
Okay, you know what? I do this constantly and I don’t particularly feel in the mood. Just read my NOPE book tag if you’re looking for some rants!!
Okay, okay, maybe I’ll add in that while I like Laini Taylor’s Lips Touch Three Times a fair amount, it’s got an issue with cultural appropriation and general bad stuff in the second story. I mean, colonial India, using Indian mythology, but every main character is white European?? It’s not a good look.
III. Put your phone on shuffle and find a book that matches the song you got.
For Homemade Dynamite by Lorde – This is like. weird. But I think I might go with the Cruel Prince by Holly Black just lyrically!!
For Closer by Halsey – Uh. I don’t know? I’m thinking maybe Echo After Echo by Amy Rose Capetta.
IV. If you had to use one book as a shield to protect yourself – because why not, you totally dislike the thing – which one would it be?
The You I’ve Never Known by Ellen Hopkins. Six hundred pages of utter shit.
V. If you could share a cup of tea – or a good mug of coffee – with a fictional character, who would it be?
Maybe Radu and Nazira from And I Darken because I just… want my gay fake-married parents to be happy for once
VI. Unhaul : list 3 books you don’t want to see anymore on your shelves.
I get rid of books if I don’t like them, so I don’t think this is a question I can suitably answer, unfortunately.
VII. Share the love : list your 3 favourite booktubers / 3 favourite bookstagrammers.
Okay, more than three. My fav Booktubers are Sam @ ThoughtsonTomes, Adrianna @ PerpetualPages, Cece @ ProblemsofaBookNerd, Lala @ BooksandLala, Ally @ HardbackHoarder, and Emma @ EmmaBooks. I just love all of them so much??
VIII. Let’s say you have to get a book cover tattooed on your body, which one do you end up with forever?
Maybe Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke just for the beauty of the webs and owls.
IX. Worst and best book-to-movie adaption?
First off – the worst. There are a lot, but I feel like I’m the sole hater of the Harry Potter movies. They’re not terrible, but people act as if they’re a lot better than they are, in my view. And also the Hobbit.
- Lord of the Rings!! Of course!!
- There’s the 100, which is a terrible book and a fantastic tv show.
- There’s the Handmaid’s Tale, which I like even more than the book for the depth it gives its characters. the original is very metaphorical, but this one is doing the characters with more depth.
- And there’s Big Little Lies – I haven’t read the book but I love the series!! I rewatched the finale and holy shit it made me cry a SECOND TIME. I was such a mess. God.
X. If you could get rid of ONE character because they’re a total pain in the ass, who would you choose?
Probably Captain Hook from Once Upon A Time. Time to die, asshole.
XI. Choose one book for each season.
Fall: The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater for aestheticy forest descriptions.
Winter: The Smell of Other People’s Houses by Bonnie Sue Hitchcock, set in Alaska and perfectly capturing the beauty.
Spring: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. This book is the dark side of spring, a combination of new beginnings and dark endings.
Summer: A&B by J.C. Lillis, because who doesn’t want wlw enemies-to-lovers romance for summer??
I. Who are your top 3 favorite musical artists right now?
- PVRIS!! Listen to them for angsty romantic songs, eerie songs, and badass songs about depression.
- I’ve really just been listening to the soundtrack of Heathers every day of my life. EVERY. DAY. Because I got cast as one of the leads :’)
- I’ve for some reason gotten back into mid-2000s Taylor Swift
II. What bookish character you find to be most overrated?
Kazinsky from the Raven Cycle, Magnus from Falling Kingdoms, Jace from City of Bones, Evan from the Fifth Wave series, Cal from Red Queen.
III. What bookish world would you NOT want to be teleported into?
None of them, probably. Most of my favorite worlds are incredibly messed up. I suppose I do love the world of The Raven Cycle just for the magical realism.
IV. What character’s special power do you wish you had?
Danny from Dreadnought by April Daniels can fly, and honestly, that’s the real goal. Most of my other favorite powers are portrayed as being negative or at the very least, mixed. But if we are doing other shit – pulling things out of your dreams like Ronan Lynch from TRC, or surviving death like Sydney from Vicious.
V. What was the last book to make you cry?
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. It was that blank space of Yunior’s that fucking killed me. There’s an interview – linked in my review – where the author mentions what goes in that blank, and it’s not “I love you”. When I got to the actual blank, I had a fucking breakdown just because I remembered it.
VI. Do you prefer ARCs or finished copies, and why?
Arcs, to be honest, just for the standard paperback sizes and being, you know, free.
VII. Shoutout 3 blogs you think more people should know about!
Oooh!! Acqua @acquadimore, Tasha @catsandpaperbacks, and Hannah @peanutbutterandbooks.
VIII. Do you follow any non-bookish blogs (makeup, movies, etc.), and if so, what kinds?
I don’t… actually think I do. I follow a couple funny tumblr blogs, I guess. And I’ve tried to follow a few movie blogs, but man, I have no knowledge of it.
IX. Do you have any phobias?
I’m terrified of needles. It’s mostly because I have minuscule veins – thanks, mom – and have a long history of failed / botched blood tests. Ask me about that time I got stabbed in a nerve. Or don’t.
X. What is your favorite animated film?
Tangled!! It’s by far one of my favorite movies and I’ve seen it more times than I can count. I love the animation and themes in transitions. And of course, the characters and romance are top tier.
XI. Who was your biggest childhood crush?
Um, I don’t think I really had a lot of crushes as a kid?? I guess for a while I had a huge crush on Shailene Woodley. Especially when she had short hair.
- A book you love from a genre you don’t read?
- Favorite netflix original series?
- Most anticipated debuts?
- A few series you’re not sure about continuing?
- Best format for book-to-screen adaptations?
- Character you like that everyone hates?
- Villain that deserves redemption?
- Fave noncanon ship?
- Favorite snack?
- Underrated fave booktuber?
- Delightfully evil villain?
- Marija @insidemylibrarymind
- Jamieson @jamishelves
- Hannah @peanutbutterandbooks
- Iryna @bookandswordblog
- Amber @ambsreads
- Emma @emmareadstoomuch
- Sydney @syddownandread
- Lacy @aravenclawlibrary
- Acqua @acquadimore
- Tasha @catsandpaperbacks
- Solomon @thebookishking
Thank you to Chelsea @SpotlightOnStories, Romie @romiewedeservelove, and Destiny @howlinglibraries.